Sunday, September 17, 2006

Here We go Again

Just A Guy On The Website

Well, here we go again. Real life is forcing its way in between the multiplicitous joys of summer, like a bamboo schut under fingernails soaked in gasoline and lemon juice. Yes, I can see the lumbering beast that is the 2006-2007 school year approaching on the not-distant-enough horizon. As testimony of that fact, two days ago, I received the innevitable and nauseatingly positive and encouraging 'Letter'...the one all teachers receive from their School Administration about this time of year, the purpose of which is to (not so) gently nudge us out of our comfortable summer slumber and strip us of our dreamy but wholly incorrect belief that the summer months will never end. It is a painful time for all teachers. Painful and Unfair. Unfair and Oppressive. I want my blankie. The letter states that we must report on Wednesday morning at 8:00, bright and early, ready to smile, offer useful suggestions on this and that, and begin being collegial and productive. This is a high expectation for us. For my part, all I want to do is have a few more days (read:45 years, or so) of good climbing, hanging out with fam, and sleeping in. No chance. No time...No trust fund. I choose to revel in this dark cloud of self-pity for at least the rest of the week, and be angry. If I were still a pirate, I could fire a cannon ball right through the month of August, obliterating it. There would be a general confusion and scrambling about while the pieces were gathered, and I could slip quietly and unnoticed into that parallel universe of my dreamworld where I giddily ask the daily question of myself: "What do I want to do today?" and the answer is always different, but it is never "Back to work". Oh, that the pirating thing had panned out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home